Sunday, February 17, 2013

Review of Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger (Or how I ended up hyperventilating in a hotel room)

“What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.” 

-J.D. Salinger

I didn't get around to reading this book until last summer, between my sophomore and junior year at college. I had tried to read it in high school, but never really got passed the first few pages. My biggest fear was that I wouldn't be able to connect with Catcher the way that people who read younger. And, truthfully, I still am not sure. 

Let me start out by saying that... I need to reread this book. 

In preparation for this blog post I did some research, and in the process of this research I realized just how much I didn't get this book. Maybe I wasn't critically thinking or engaged enough, maybe I didn't sympathize enough. Looking back through the book now? Holden, dude, I was so wrong. Let me make it up to you, please, I owe you that much.


The Catcher in the Rye takes place over the span of just a couple of days. Holden Caulfield has been expelled from yet another school, and he decides to just book it and head to the city for the weekend.

The layering here is pretty intense. On the one hand, he is recounting the events of the weekend. We see what is happening to the 16 year old Holden, the interactions he is having, the decisions he's making. But there is also the 17 year old Holden who is telling his story. He's looking back, his narration is unreliable, sure, but there is a truth and a rawness to his reflection that... seriously, I have chills.

Okay, understatement.
I'm actually on field trip to Monterey with my University's English Club, trying not to hyperventilate. When I explain to the other people in my hotel why I am having this mini-breakdown-slash-soul searching-slash-bonding moment with Mr. Caulfield, I get a sage nod.
I say, "I feel like I need to apologize to him, for being so... so phony!"
Elise turns to me and simply says, "You should."

Things I wish I had known before reading:
  1. As I have mentioned earlier, the layered narration gives the reader an additional perspective. Remember, this story is a reflection. What's happened in the time that's passed? What lens is he telling this story from?
  2. Don't be put off by Holden. Yes, he is remarkably well known for being an unlikable protagonist. And, yeah, you might not like him. You may even hate him! But you should try very, very hard to understand him. Empathy (and the capability for empathy) plays a huge role in the book. Holden is trying to be understood, but anytime he reaches out for reassurance, he's shut down. Take note of his interactions, his conversations. Is anyone really understanding what he is trying to articulate? Is he being heard?
  3. Speaking of articulation. The writing contains sharp and cunning quips, but it very worthy of close reading. . Holden also uses the passive voice to distance himself from painful situations. He also tends to use "you" statements when he is talking about himself. Check out this famous quote where he talks about an ex: "You never even worried, with Jane, whether your hand was sweaty or not. All you knew was, you were happy. You really were." I've seen this quote floating around tumblr on hipter blogs, written on paint swatches and old Polaroids. Seems like a sweet quote. But...notice the "you"? It hurts too much to remember how her hand felt in his. What on first glance seems conversational ends up... kinda heartbreaking. And I'm having trouble breathing again. Great.
It isn't that I wasn't old enough to get this book. It wasn't that I was TOO old for this book. I didn't engage myself and apply myself the way I should have. Catcher is about growing up, and how terrifying that process is. As long as I can remember, I've dreaded change, and growing up is the biggest indication of change (or is change the biggest indication of growing up? WHOA THERE.). 

Bottom line, if you haven't read it? Keep these in mind. If you have? Take another look. 

And after that, check out YA adult John Green's (remember him?) video's specifically on Catcher: Nerdfighter's Book Club: Intro (which has some awesome comments on critical analysis and oh my God Mary Jo keep breathing), part one, part two. Crash Course -Literature: Part one, and part two (which gives us a look into the author and his life.). 

I'm gonna go find a paper bag to breathe into.








2 comments:

  1. Shout out to SEC! This is awesome. I'm glad you gave this book a second chance; I really love it! I love your "Things I Wish I'd Known..." section. You should continue to use that! :D It's super helpful.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?
Leave a comment!