Monday, February 25, 2013

Book Haul, or I how I spend my student loans.

I should not be allowed in bookstores. 

But, considering that I just got a Barnes & Noble Membership (Rest in Peace, Borders) this won't be happening anytime soon. 




    Snagged these off of my instagram account (Follow me?).

  • Mexican Whiteboy by Matt De La Peña. The author went to my Alma Mater. Gotta support my fellow Pacifian, what what!)
  • Woman Hollering Creek, a collection of short stories by Sandra Cisneros. This was a optional reading for my seventh grade class, so here is looking at you, Mr. Sirard.
  • Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I need to reread this again before the radio adaptation airs in March.
  • Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison. This was also optional reading for my seventh grade class. I kept up with the series until the final book was published in my junior year of highschool.
  • The Giver by Lois Lowry. Also... something I read... while in seventh grade. Thanks, Mr. Sirard, for keeping me in the library and off the streets. Or. Whatever else people do that doesn't involve spending time in libraries. You get the idea.




  • Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier. Fantastic twist on a fairy tale and a killer cover.
  • Psyche in a Dress by Francesca Lia Block. Check out my review here!
  • Sabriel by Garth Nix. This review is some time in the future. Such fantastic world building is gonna require a complete reread



While in Monterey, I picked up some books at the local bookstores! This is Confessions of a Closet Catholic by Sarah Darer Littman. I've never read it before, but as a newly christened (see what I did there?) English/Religious Studies double major, I picked it up!


Oh look, my face! And, more importantly, my bookcase.




See my roommie, Amanda of Beauty on a Budget in the background?
While I am not planning on reviewing any Nancy Drew books at this point (unless you want me to, of course. Let me know in the comments!) I am a sucker for anything related to the girl detective. I picked up these first editions at an antique book store in Monterey. Fun fact, the first editions can often have completely different stories than the later versions we are used to. The Nancy Drew books underwent huge revisions in the 1960s. Some were little things, some were major plot revisions, and a lot had to do with updating the stories to include more politically correct jargon.

This concludes my first book haul post. Let me know what you think in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. Haha oh my god it's my fault for drinking chocolate milk while you're blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm REALLY excited for the Giver...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! It is def one of those books I feel should be required reading for... humanity on general.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?
Leave a comment!