Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce: a Review

“I’ll not stand for any tricks. I may be human, but I’m not stupid.”

Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce


Tamora Pierce is an accomplished fantasy YA novelist (We're talking 26 books, including 5 quartets set in two different, well established universes). I could go on for days about her epic world building, lush characters, and how amazing it is that her books feature a wide variety of strong female characters (and characters within the LGBT community!). You go Tammy!

But today, I want to talk about Wild Magic.


Wild Magic is the first book in the Immortals Quartet, which is set in the kingdom of Totall. Word of warning- the first series set in Tortall is the Song of the Lioness, which follows Alana of Trebond as she disguises her gender in order to become a knight. When I first picked up Wild Magic I had no idea that it was part of a larger world. You do not need to have read Song of the Lioness to enjoy this book, but if you get hooked into the world (which, let's be honest, you probably will) you should check out the rest of the books set in this universe.

I first read this book when I was in... fourth grade? I read the next two books in quick succession and then refused to read the last book because I didn't want the story to end. It wasn't until high school that I finally picked up the last one, rather mournfully, and began to read. I waited SEVEN years because I didn't want the magic to end.

I loved everything about the story- Diane is a young girl whose whole life was shattered when her family is killed by bandits. She gets a job to help take a herd of ponies to the capitol of Tortall for the Queen's Riders. Along the way, she learns that what she thought was a knack for animals, is actually a rare form of magic. Through the first book, Daine is trying to learn about the magic and her abilities, while finding a place for herself in Tortall and defending it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?
Leave a comment!