Friday, March 15, 2013

Nationstates - create your own "Community."

I recently reviewed The Giver by Lois Lowry, which reminded me of an assignment I had when I read the book for my seventh grade English class. Everyone in the class had to partner up and create their own Community, and I will admit that mine was flawed to the point of offensive. My 12-year-old self had soaked up one too many of Topanga Lawerence's feminist statements.  I specifically remember one quote about men being forced to live underground... so that's what happened in our Community (If I had a bra at the time, I would probably have burned it.). My partner's mother had enough sense to make us change the name from Feminazi to Femininian.

I bring up this embarrassing memory to say that around the same time, I was introduced to a website called Nation States. Nation States is a website were people create individual nations which grow and change through the decisions you make and the laws you pass. It is a ton of fun, and always makes me think of the Community in The Giver.

Check it out! My account here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?
Leave a comment!